Recompiling code-behind files of user controls?

Jun 1, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Hello.  I am trying to make a simple change to the HeaderControl.ascx.cs file relating to the changeColor value.  However, I am unable to recompile the app so that the HeaderControl.ascx uses the updated ascx.cs file.  I am sure I'm just missing something obvious, but I can't find a solution.  I have tried cleaning the solution and rebuilding with no success. The same is true for all ascx.cs files, they don't seem to have any effect on the user controls themselves. I am using Visual Studio 2008.

Coordinator
Jun 1, 2011 at 9:45 PM

Hello Nexius,

Can you give some more details on your installation and the problems? What Survey version and sourcecode did you download and install. What messages (warnings/ errors) are generated during the compiling. Did you manage to get the application itself (website / database) up and running?
With this information we might possibly help you. You may also post your message at the Community site at http://www.surveyproject.info to see if other communitymembers share your experiences.

Kinds regards
Fwsmaster

Jun 1, 2011 at 10:06 PM

Survey version: 1.2.2.0
Source version: 54988
Visual Studio: 2008 (.NET 2.0)

I had to use the Visual Studio Conversion Wizard the first time I opened the project so I could use it in VS2008.  I am able to successfully compile and launch the survey application without any problems. Everything works fine, but if I make any changes to the UserControls ASCX.CS code-behind files, they have no affect on the actual ASCX controls. I am not very familiar with complex .NET projects like this so is it possible there is something that needs to be configured in my build settings?

Coordinator
Jun 3, 2011 at 9:52 AM
Edited Jun 3, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Hello Nexius,

I would advise to download the latest version v. 1.2.3. and install the Web Application Project solution (See TAG v.1.2.3.) This way you don't have to convert to Visual Studio. Version 1.2.3. was build for and with Visual Web Developer 2010 Express.
(note: you do need to have .NET 4 installed)

One other advise on the 1.2.2. version is to check if all folders/ files have full read/ write access for the admin account. Also start Visual Studio as an administrator.

Kind regards
Fwsmaster

Jun 3, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Thank you, Fwsmaster.  I have tried the latest version in Visual Studio 2010 and experience the same issue, which leads me to believe I must configure some unknown build properties.  To clarify, I can't get any of the code-behind files for any ascx or aspx pages to update after changing them and rebuilding the site.  Even if I delete all the .cs files, the pages will be unaffected, so they are clearly referencing a compiled version of the .cs. Which DLL holds the compiled code-behind files for the NSurveyAdmin directory? (I apologize, I'm not used to solutions with multiple projects and DLLs).

To replicate this problem:

1. Open a fresh copy of the source code in VIsual Studio.
  2. Update the login.aspx.cs file within NSurveyAdmin to alter the functionality.
  3. Rebuild and run the site, navigating to login.aspx.  Nothing has changed.

I just think I'm missing a step in the build process to make sure all the code-behind files for NSurveyAdmin get recompiled.

Coordinator
Jun 3, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Hello Nexius,

We've added a brief instruction on how to install the Survey v. 1.2.3. WAP solution. Please check this link: http://survey.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Survey%201.2.3%20Web%20Application%20Project%20Source%20Code%20Installation

Please note to use the source code that can be found in the TAG Survey-1.2.3

Hope this helps.

Kind regards
Fwsmaster