Branching

Topics: General '15
Aug 2, 2012 at 1:03 PM
Edited Aug 2, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Is there a way when I choose a specific selection text option to add a rule to redirect to a previous page and question?I know branching allows to move forward, but what about looping backwards?

EDIT: I managed to loop backwards by simply creating the branching rule, pointing it to the next page and then editing the table vts_tbBranchingRule in the corresponding [TargetPageNumber] and changing the value to the page of the question I want to loop back to. Unfortunately, the question numbering doesn't fall back, but instead continues, so for example, if I have:

question#3-in-page_3 -->question#4-in-page_4

And based on the answer I want to loop it back to question#3, we have:

question#3-in-page_3 -->question#4-in-page_4 --> question#3-in-page_3 (but it will be given the number '5' and not '3').

Not sure if Im clear, since English isn't my primary language. I hope I explained it enough.

The numbering doesnt matter much to me, but perhaps others might be interested in showing the question number.

Coordinator
Aug 5, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Hello,

It's interesting to see how you've come up with a very creative way to make the SP tool do "backward branching". Tips and tricks like this are certainly appreciated.
You propably realise that it's not part of the regular feature set of the SP tool.

Unless you're an expert in SP and databases and have tested it properly  it's certainly not advised to run updates in a production situation. Already you mentioned one side effect (question numbering) of updating the branching rule table.

If you want you can add "backward branching" as a new feature request by submitting an issue through the issue tracker.

Thanks again for sharing the information.

Kind regards
Survey Project Coordinator