First 5 Minutes

Topics: General
Dec 6, 2012 at 2:19 AM
Edited Dec 6, 2012 at 2:57 AM

I need a .NET-based survey app, and found yours here.

I will start with the nice part: clearly there is a lot of value here. I can offer something right now in this post that few will, I hope you can take it in the spirit intended. I am not saying that anything has been done incorrectly; I hope instead that you can use my experience to improve your on-boarding for the rest of the folks who discover your project. All this free advice is worth exactly what you paid for it. : )

Here is my summary of my experience so far:

1) My first priority is to see how the surveys will look for the end user. (Does this open source project dodge the trend of poor design in open source?) I still haven't found a sample survey yet. Exploring the demo site I hit one password-protected survey and another that asked for an email invite code. Please create a clear path to take a serious, demo survey showing off what your project can do. I even went to Twitter and saw that this was promised July 30... but I couldn't find it.

2) The demo site should have a clear policy on how it is cleaned up occasionally. I logged into the demo site and tried to figure out how to get into a sample; the whole 'tree on the left + same list of all surveys' was a bit confusing, I couldn't see any indication of which survey was being affected as I used the top menu items.

What survey am I managing? I have no idea!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2) In this era of Bootstrap and other helpful tools, the main site feels outdated and the admin pages feel the same. I'm no UX expert, but I believe that it's generally accepted that red = danger, stop, error, etc. so you might put some thought into that. (The business site looks better.)

First thing I want to see is screenshots + an optional demo video... should sell me in like 10 seconds. Put this stuff into the business site if you want, that's fine, just make the open source stuff clearly linked from it. A proprietary survey building tool called VisiMojo debuted on Hacker News today, they open with Google Apps presentation slides then drop you right into a pre-built survey.

3) I checked out a YouTube vid, nice if a bit blurry. Then I saw the comment that it was out of date...

HTH

Dec 6, 2012 at 3:05 AM

Just noticed this dev site's wiki/documentation where it seems to be a lot easier to find info than the project's main site. Unfortunately it looks like a lot of it is out of date.

Coordinator
Dec 27, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Hello,

Any feedback is much appreciated, thanks for sending yours. As you noticed much help is needed to as well so if you or anyone else is interested, just let us know or start making your contributions (check the homepage for instructions).

Kind regards,
SP coordinator