developing android / iphone app as front end to survey project

Topics: General, Survey Project Team
May 21 at 11:33 AM
Hello Team,

Can i use Android App as frontend to surveyproject for answering questions?

please gives us thought on the same

Many Thanks,
Sameer
Coordinator
May 21 at 9:31 PM
Hello Sameer,

The SP 2.2. version surveys are not developed for use on Android apps but you can check the results yourself.

The next SP 2.3 version will have the option to create surveys for use on mobile devices. A publishing date is not set yet but the alpha version is expected soon.

Kind regards
SP Coordinator
Coordinator
Aug 20 at 4:58 PM
You can check the Demo site for SP version 2.3 at http://www.surveyproject.net to try the new survey front-end mobile version.

Kind regards
SP coordinator
Aug 21 at 10:22 AM
Thanks Fwsmaster for this.

I have also checked

ODK Tools developed in Java

ODK Build : Developed on Ruby Platform (Same as Survey Application to design Survey , Skip Logic and it generates XForm compliant XML

ODK Collect : Android Application to take online and offline survey and it can capture Images/Videos/Audio and Signature, GPS location too

ODK Forms : Web Application runs in any device / platform which is HTML5 compatible forms for offline storage (Similar to ODK Collect does not have Rich Multimedia support such as Audio/Video/Photo Capture though camera)

ODK Aggregate: An Aggregate application hosted on Google AppEngine to Analyse uploaded data (Developed in Java) ( Same as Survey Application it does analyse the data submitted)

I am looking at Survey as tool should support XForm Forms Generation and Submission to take advantage of Offline Capability of Survey where there is no internet connection required in remote areas

Can we support XForms through our Survey Tool?

Thank,
Sameer

Coordinator
Aug 21 at 9:07 PM
Hello Sameer,

Thanks for the additonal inforamations XForms is not part of the SP 2.3 adjustments. You can find a completedescription of changes at:
https://survey.codeplex.com/releases/view/117999

Additions to support the use of SP surveys on mobile devices are:

bootstrap 3.2.0
fontawesome 4.1.0
Modernizer 2.7.2
Respond 1.4.2
Html5shiv

XForm may be a new feature for future releases, although I read it's mostly MVC based and SP is created as a WAP application and will not move to MVC. Any advise/research on this is welcome.

Kind regards
SP Coordinator