This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

first half hour with this product is not good

Topics: General '15
Jun 17, 2011 at 11:27 PM

First issue: the help files talk about an MSI, but I can't find an MSI for the 1.2.3 version, so I have to set up the IIS myself. Also, I'm using .NET 3.5, so I have to use version 1.2.2 -- minor issue, but it would be better if there were two web.configs in the 1.2.3 version. Tried using 1.2.3 and commenting out the 4.0 stuff in the config file but still got YSOD so downgraded it.

Second issue: the SQL script for creating the DB seems to be assuming Win XP (it wants to use the ASPNET user); much messing with the script and database permissions

Third issue: the conn string in the web.config is commented out, so I get this rather cryptic error message on a YSOD:

Value cannot be null.
  Parameter name: value

After uncommenting out the conn string I still get the error, so I guess I have to dig into the code and find the issue. :(

Fourth issue: I wanted to register on your forums to discuss these issues, but the registration email never got to me. Turns out it went to my spam folder (gmail). You might want to look into why gmail thinks you're sending spam. Gmail's spam catcher is very strong -- false positives are very rare.

And with that I've burned up and hour or so of time (fielding a phone call or two in there) and decided that I'm gonna invest another 15 mins into this tool and then give up and find another tool.

Jun 17, 2011 at 11:42 PM
Edited Jun 17, 2011 at 11:43 PM

I realize I posted this in the wrong section. Seems to me that when I posted it "General" was not an option for the category. There were two options:

<input id="coordinatorTopic0" name="coordinatorTopic" type="checkbox" value="5162" /><label for="coordinatorTopic0">Source Code & Change Sets</label>
<input id="coordinatorTopic1" name="coordinatorTopic" type="checkbox" value="5163" /><label for="coordinatorTopic1">Survey Project Team</label>
Jun 17, 2011 at 11:46 PM

I've tried messing around with the 1.2.3 version to get it to run under the 3.5 Framework but haven't had any luck. Are there really C# 4.0 features that you are using in this project? I can't get the 3.5 version of the project to install (specifically the db connection) and I can't use the 4.0 version because one of our web servers is still on 3.5.

Looks like I can't use this tool without a lot of work on my end -- work that seems unnecessary to me.

Coordinator
Jun 19, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Dear Sir,

Although we do appreciate receiving any feedback on the survey project and the survey tool we hope you will take into consideration when you write your comments that all is based on the hard work of volunteers who have freely given up their time to provide the community with a survey tool that is constantly in development. Unfortunately the tone of voice of some of your comments does not seem to fully appreciate this fact.

Most of the answers you are looking fore can be found on this website (please check the available documentation) or you can check the community site at http://www.surveyproject.info. If you find it difficult to find the proper information you can of course always ask for our assistance.

Kind regards,
Fwsmaster

Coordinator
Jun 19, 2011 at 1:15 PM

Dear Sir,

Version 1.2.3. will only run on .NET 4.0 as mentioned in the downloads section. Version 1.2.2. will still run on lower versions.

Kind regards,
Fwsmaster

Coordinator
Jun 19, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Dear Sir,

As the instructions show, you do not need to choose a topic if you want to start a General discussion.

Kind regards
Fwsmaster

Coordinator
Jun 19, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Dear Sir,

As the V. 1.2.3. readme files explain, there is no MSI installer available yet.
Concerning the installation issues, please check the survey forums/ discussions.
The gmail issue will be checked, thanks for letting us know.

Kind regards
Fwsmaser

Jun 19, 2011 at 5:28 PM
fwsmaster wrote:

Dear Sir,

Although we do appreciate receiving any feedback on the survey project and the survey tool we hope you will take into consideration when you write your comments that all is based on the hard work of volunteers who have freely given up their time to provide the community with a survey tool that is constantly in development. Unfortunately the tone of voice of some of your comments does not seem to fully appreciate this fact.

Most of the answers you are looking fore can be found on this website (please check the available documentation) or you can check the community site at http://www.surveyproject.info. If you find it difficult to find the proper information you can of course always ask for our assistance.

Kind regards,
Fwsmaster

I don't think my tone was unprofessional. I understand that people are contributing to this project. I think it's helpful to see a new users experience with a product. 

Re: existing documentation: that was what made me look around for an msi: the first piece of documentation that I find was for an msi installer.