This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

How to repeat question group

Topics: General '15
Jul 30, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Hi,

I have a section in my survey where I need to repeat several questions for adding "people", like the following:

Name: ______________

Email: _______________

Roles (select one):

• End User
  • Business Analyst
  • Administrator

There can be arbitrary number of people being added to the survey. What is the best way to build that kind of logic in Survey Project without typing in 10+ static questions myself?

Coordinator
Jul 30, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Hello,

You can use the Repeatable Sections option on questionlevel (see formbuilder - edit question). First create the question, set the Repeat option (full answer repeat or Grid repeat), next add all answertypes like the above example.

Hope this will help.

Kind regards
Survey Project Coordinator

Jul 30, 2012 at 9:18 PM
Edited Jul 30, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Hi,

First, thanks for the lightning fast response.

I did play with the repeatable option in the Form Builder, but maybe I am not understanding the concept completely. While I have no problem building repeating textboxes for simple questions, I seem to struggle when I want something like multiple checkboxes for Roles, or a selection with an optional textbox.

e.g. Have had cereal this morning: __ YES __ NO
If yes, type the brand of your cereal: __________ 

Coordinator
Jul 30, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Hello,

Re: breach of speedlimit, you're welcome, just happened to be online (no guarantee every time)

Try question type: single question
Selection Mode: checkbox (multiple)
Next add answers.
Use Selection Text (checkbox) or Selection Other (checkbox + textbox field).

I hope I understood you correctly.

Kind regards
Survey project Coordinator

Jul 30, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Hi,

Again, thanks for the response. It's close to what I am looking for, but not quite. A picture is worth a thousand words so let me illustrate.

This is what I have right now in the repeated question:

Original

However, I want to group "End User" and "Business Analyst" within an item called "Role". The form would be something like the following:

Expected

It's almost like a question within a question, because it wouldn't make sense if I first repeat Name and Email and then the checkboxes that tie to the role of the person with the input name. Is that possible?

Coordinator
Jul 31, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Hi,

Unfortunately there is no simple solution to create this. You can use a Basic Field answertype and set the default answer text to "Role(s):*

Next you could try to add a javascript function to disable the field. For this you would have to create a new answer type (copy Basic Field settings), add the javascript.
There is no other option to add free static in between the answer fields.

Hope you will find another creative solution.

Kind regards
Survey Project Coordinator

Jul 31, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I think I will go another route and try to put two forms on my ASP.NET page, one for the master and one for the repeating questions. I probably need some creative way of managing the parameters going back and forth when pressing the submit buttons.

I will let you know how it goes.