This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Prepopulating survey answers via database lookup

Topics: General '15
Jul 7, 2015 at 5:41 PM
Hi -

I'm currently evaluating Survey for a questionnaire requirement that needs to integrate with an existing ASP.NET app with its own database. We already have a lot of detail stored about the users who will be submitting the questionnaires, which we can look up from a User ID number, and want to prepopulate a number of answers based on that existing data. I'm thinking someone must have had to do something similar before...

I've been playing with the SQL type of answers and piping, using the User ID from the existing app on the querystring, but the best I've been able to get using this technique is a drop down where you have to click past the [Select an answer] item to get to the value you want. I only want to see the single value as prepopulated, read-only text here.

It feels a bit like something is missing - maybe a checkbox on the answer type design view to say 'this query will only return a single value' which if selected would make the answer display as a disabled textbox or label. Or something to make it automatically select the only value in the dropdown if only one row is returned (and not show the "[Select an answer]" item)

Does anyone know of a workaround for this?
Coordinator
Jul 7, 2015 at 8:39 PM
Hi,

A suggestion would be to check the options available on answer level (add answer/ type Field hidden) and make use of:

*you can specify special values that will be replaced at runtime into the text value :

yourquerystringvariablename

@@yoursessionvariablename@@
&&yourcookievariablename&&
%%servervariablename%%

It would need some programming but this would be one direction to find a solution.

Kind regards
SP Coordinator