Is this what I am looking for?

Feb 15, 2010 at 11:54 AM

I was pointed to this project by a posting on the asp.net forum.   I am fairly new to ASP.Net and C#.  I do have a web site, and I want to add a survey page to it.  I am looking for code (asp.net c#), with a SQL Server database behind it.  I am not looking to install the entire project, just use the code in it as a "how to" for the survey page that I want to add to my web site.  I have downloaded the code, went to open it in VS 2008, and do not know which of the folders to point to, to open the project.  To do what I want to do, can someone point me to the specific parts of the code (aspx pages etc), that would be particular to what I want? Thanks.

Coordinator
Feb 15, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Hello,

To briefly answer your questions which will hopefully help you on your way:

- the maindirectory of the project containing the overall solution file is in the Nsurvey directory
- the directory containing all the webpages and code for both the survey and surveyadministration is call the Web directory
- starting page in the root webdirectory is the file default.aspx;
- survey.aspx is the default page for surveys (also in the root directory)
- the Web subdirectory Nsurveyadmin contains all files for the survey administration webpages.

Good luck with your experiments.

kind regards
FwsMaster

Feb 16, 2010 at 4:42 PM

I am trying to get this up and running so that I can see how it works.   I have Win 7 Ultimate, IIS is Installed, getting error when trying to browse to localhost/Survey...

---------------

HTTP Error 500.24 - Internal Server Error

An ASP.NET setting has been detected that does not apply in Integrated managed pipeline mode.

system.web/identity@impersonate is set to true.

• If the application supports it, disable client impersonation.
  • If you are certain that it is OK to ignore this error, it can be disabled by setting system.webServer/validation@validateIntegratedModeConfiguration to false.
  • Move this application to an application pool using Classic .NET mode - for example, %SystemRoot%\system32\inetsrv\appcmd set app "Default Web Site/" /applicationPool:"Classic .NET AppPool"

(You can set "Classic .NET AppPool" to the name of another application pool running in Classic managed pipeline mode)

------------------

Not sure if first, do I want to do this (you only have a version that runs in Classic?), and secondly not clear on exactly how to do this.  This page is confusing to a novice...http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/243/aspnet-integration-with-iis7/#changemode.  Am I doing this to the "default web site" or to Survey?  Do I want to convert survey to an application and change the application pool to classic?  If I click on Survey in IIS, and then click on Authentication, I get an error web.config message "Configuration section not allowed to be set below application"

Feb 17, 2010 at 6:42 PM

If you are not going to answer my questions, to help me get this up and running, can you please tell me where to go to get help (figuratively).  

Coordinator
Feb 17, 2010 at 7:20 PM

Hello,

Your impatience to get an answer is understandable but please understand that this project is not yet equipped to answer questions within 24 hours unless you find some visiting codeplex members to help you out right away.  

Your question seems to be window 7/ iis7 specific. The error message indicates to create a separate application pool in IIS with Classic.net settings (survey was build in .net 2.*). You do not have to change the default website appl. pool. The best way seems to try and experiment a litte with the settings on a new application pool.

Any other resources:
- msdn websites of microsoft on windows 7/ iis7
- google the specific issues
- asp.net forums

Kind regards
Fwsmaster

Feb 18, 2010 at 11:42 AM

This is more difficult then I had foreseen.  Having gotten past the previous error, I have another one.  After entering admin/admin I now ge

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server).

I go to the code and try to find the code that tells me the name of the sql server that it is trying to connect to...but I cannot find that code.  I look at login.aspx, which has the line at the top of file...Page language="c#" Codebehind="Login.aspx.cs" AutoEventWireup="false" Inherits="Votations.NSurvey.WebAdmin.Login" %>.  I look for a login.aspx.cs, and/or Votations.NSurvey.WebAdmin.Login, and I can not find them.

I am getting the feeling that this is not the project for me to learn from, that this is only for advanced users.  Do you agree?

P.s.  When initiating the sql database I had gotten errors like...

"the module vps_spanswermatrixaddnew depends on the missing object vps_spanswermatrixchildaddnew...", etc.

Perhaps you can point me to something simpler (an example of using asp.net c# sql server, to add a page to a web site).  Thanks

Coordinator
Feb 19, 2010 at 8:37 AM

Hello,

Please try the web.config file in the root directory (also see readme file with installation instructions).  Concering the sql errors/warningsyou can ignore them.

The project is quiet big, you can learn a lot from it however it may be too complicated for a novice on .net applications.

Kind regards,
Fwsmaster

Feb 22, 2010 at 12:44 PM

I have given up on this.  I am getting the book ASP>NET 2.0 Instant Results, they have a survey chapter that I will be able to follow and understand.  It may just be my inexperience, but when I cannot get the connection string to find the sql server, (and then can't find of get to the code that uses that connection string), perhaps this code needs to be updated.  Thanks anyway.